Thursday 26 June 2014

Yes, I’m Not Above The Law But You Must Respect My Office ––Speaker Tambuwal

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon Aminu Tambuwal, on Wednesday declared that he is not above the law but those who are after him should know that his office deserve protocol and privileges.

Hon. Tambuwal was addressing House members on Monday’s incident where security operatives stopped his motorcade and insisted on searching his official car while he was inside.
Tambuwal said: “I want to state that I am not above the law. As recently as last week Wednesday when I was travelling to Paris, I subjected myself to screening by staff of the Air France here at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport. 
My luggage was requested to be searched, and I obliged them; I gave them my luggage. My physical person was frisked, and I allowed that to happen without any resistance. That is to show everyone that I am not averse to being subjected to scrutiny or screening by constituted authorities. 
“The difference between that and what happened in Kaduna is the fact that I was expected to enjoy some protocol and privilege as the Speaker of the House of Representatives of Nigeria, moreso, from the authorities established by law."
The incident occurred at the entrance of Hotel 17, Kaduna, venue of an International Conference on Security and Development: Challenges of Pastoralism in West and Central Africa, organised by the office of the NSA. The speaker stated that he was not averse to being subjected to scrutiny or screening by “constituted authorities”, but expected to enjoy some protocol and privilege as the number 4 citizen of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the House has detailed it’s joint Committees on Defence, Army, Police, Interior, Public Safety and National Security to probe the incident. The committees were directed to submit a report in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

whizqidconcept@gmail.com